Monday, October 7, 2013

ATTHAGA SILA (The Eight Precepts)

1) PÀNÀTIPÀTÀ - VERAMANI SIKKHAPADAM SAMADIYAMI
I undertake to abstain from harming or taking life.

2) ADINNÀDÀNÀ - VERAMANI SIKKHAPADAM SAMADIYAMI
I undertake to abstain from taking what is not given.

3) ABRAHMACARIYÀ - VERAMANI SIKKHAPADAM SAMADIYAMI
I undertake to abstain from any from sexual contact.

4) MUSÀVÀDÀ - VERAMANI SIKKHAPADAM SAMADIYAMI
I undertake to abstain from false speech.

5) SURA - MERAYA – MAJJA - PAMÀDATTHANA - VERAMANI SIKKHAPADAM SAMADIYAMI
I undertake to abstain from the use of intoxicants, i.e. drugs and alcohol.

6) VIKÀLA - BHOJANÀ - VERAMANI SIKKHAPADAM SAMADIYAMI
I undertake to abstain from eating after the mid-day meal.

7) NACCA - GITA - VÀDITA - VISUKADASSANÀ - MÀLAGANDHA - VILEPANA - DHÀRANA - MANDANA - VIBHUSANATTHÀNÀ - VERAMANI SIKKHAPADAM SAMADIYAMI
I undertake to abstain from dancing, singing, music and watching entertainments, and from using enticing beauty aids, i.e. perfume, etc.

8) UCCASAYANA – MAHASAYANA - VERAMANI SIKKHAPADAM SAMADIYAMI
I undertake to abstain from indulging in high and luxurious seats and beds.

No comments:

Post a Comment